5 Healthy Additions to Your Morning Yogurt
Updated: Jul 14, 2019
Yogurt is an easy go to breakfast that's protein rich and high in calcium and with so much variety of yogurt available its easy to fit into your chosen diet plan. Wether you choose a dairy variety or a plant based option such as soy or coconut yogurt just make sure to go for a natural, unflavoured variety to avoid lots of added sugar & thickeners and then try some of these alternative toppings.
1. Sliced Banana & Chia seeds; a good carbohydrate source, bananas are also rich in potassium and chia seeds provide essential Omega fats, protein and a tasty crunch.
2. Granola & Blueberries; choose a low sugar granola or better still make your own! Blueberries provide a rich source of vitamins and phytochemicals.
3. Oats & Carrot!! - stir oats into yogurt the night before along with some grated carrot, a handful of sultanas, a touch of cinnamon & top with a few crumbled walnuts. Add a little maple syrup for sweetness if required and hey-presto! Carrot Cake Overnight Oats!!
4. Stewed Apples or Pears; serve warm on cooler mornings they contrast deliciously with yogurt. Stew the chopped fruit gently with some vanilla or nutmeg, add a few sultanas or cranberries and then serve with yogurt and a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds for a healthy, fibre rich breakfast.
5. Go savoury and try this recipe for Turkish Eggs with yogurt and spices from BBC Good Food www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/turkish-eggs. Perfect for a weekend brunch.